Yoga and Dance

Today, I'm scheduled to teach yoga to girls ages 10-14 at a dance camp. The camp brings in guest teachers in different areas, and I'm the guest yoga teacher. I've taught to kiddos before, and I've taught dancers before, but never kiddo dancers. I imagine the range of flexibility will be tremendous.

Yoga and Dance have a long history together, going all the way back to the original lord of the Dance, Shiva (as Nataraja). I know many yogis come to the practice by way of dance. Natarajasana (Dancer's Pose) is a beautiful example.

And then there's this:





I've done this before, with Shiva Rea, at Kripalu. It's a ton of fun, but I couldn't imagine doing it alone in my living room. Sure, I'm a big fan of rocking out alone in my house, but it feels a little different if you're doing it while staring at a screen image of Shiva Rea. Anyone rocking the Trance Dance? Dancer turned yogi?

Popular Posts