Things not to do in a yoga class

Last night was an off class for me. It started at 5:00, and at 5:15 one student rolled up her mat and left. The class format was, with some variations, a repeat of what I had taught at noon to great reception, and at this point I hadn't gotten much past Sun A's. Made me a bit self conscious.

Then, at 5:45, the same thing. Someone else rolled up the mat, didn't look at me although I tried to make eye contact, and left. The first person avoided me as well. The second person, in theory, might have had another appointment, but had come late to the class to start with and had made no indication of having to leave early.

Another checked her cell phone twice during class. Two left during savasana.

What's the deal, folks?

I understand realizing a class format or teacher style is not for you. No worries, really. But, please folks, please just acknowledge the teacher by nodding your head, mouthing "thanks" (because you should be thankful, even if you didn't like the class), or making some eye contact. If only to let me know you didn't injure yourself.

If you know you need to leave early, come early, and let the teacher know. It's more respectful. If you can't come early and you need to leave early, it might be a better idea to find a class time that better fits your schedule. Or do a self practice. Same goes for leaving during savasana. Let me know.

Finally, unless it's a really excellent reason (like, family is in labor) don't check your cell phone. Like, ever.

What suggestions do you have for yoga students?

Things not to do in a yoga class

You may fart, burp, sigh, do variations on every pose, and drop into child's pose for extraordinary lengths of time. Heck, do your own sequence for a bit if you really need it. But, know the teacher is bringing amazing amounts of energy, love, and respect into that room. Bring some of your own, too. 

Popular Posts