Be who you are...

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” —Fritz Perls

For some reason, this reminds me of Dr. Seuss. 

Anyway, realized how much of my ego, as noted in the comments on yesterday's post, is wrapped up in my teaching. Which sets me up for events like Tuesday night's (see Wednesday's post). I am pretty good at reminding myself before every class that this class isn't for me, it's for the yogis who enter that room. To that end, I rarely have a class plan these days. I watch people walk into the room, talk to them beforehand, and think about what might work as warm ups progress. But... I'm still very attached to students liking the class and liking me

Being a yoga teacher is not about being liked. Often, some of the better teachers I have had have brought up a lot of anger in me. Giving assists is about helping students go deeper into their practice, it is not about me. All this is stuff I am working on; the more I realize it, the better a teacher I will really be, as opposed to wanting to be viewed as. 


Does that make sense?


How do you drop by ego in your teaching, but also in being a student? Any mantras, manifestations, hints, or helpful words?


Be who you are...

Which goes back to the original quote. Being authentic, and not worrying about being the teacher you think they want you to be, will leave you with more authentic relationships in turn. Maybe smaller classes, but deeper ones. Again, working on it. 

  1. Anjali Mudra (Salutation Seal)
  2. Bharadvajasana I (Bharadvaja's Twist)
  3. Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose)
  4. Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose)
  5. Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Forward Bend)
  6. Upavistha Konasana (Wide-Angle Seated Forward Bend)
  7. Agnistambhasana (Fire Log Pose)
  8. Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose)
  9. Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
  10. Svara Yoga Pranayama (Yoga of Sound Breath)
  11. Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose)
  12. Savasana (Corpse Pose)

Popular Posts