Yoga in Jeans

Taught yoga class in my blue jeans today. Was wearing a pair of shorts underneath, but I never warmed up enough in the room to disrobe. Frankly, it didn't make much of a difference in terms of how I taught or even how deeply I went into poses (when I teach, I don't go too deep into poses as it is). It felt off at first, but then the roof didn't cave in, the yogi powers that be didn't kick my tushy and make me lead a bad class. It was an enjoyable class. Same as usual, except in blue jeans.

A student came up to me afterward and thanked me for my outfit. He is from Israel and said his teacher there once told the class that yoga teachers should not dress in yoga clothes because the class is not about them. They are there to teach and not to take. I still think I'll largely stick to traditional yoga clothes while teaching, mostly because they are comfy, but also because I think it's important for the clothes to be able to show alignment and muscles working and reacting.

Yoga Jeans by Second Denim. Surprisingly even more expensive than Lululemon.


Yoga in Jeans

What do you think? Ever put on some serious street attire before leading a class? Or taking one? Here's a sequence that can be done in any outfit... but maybe no skirts. Or at least wear some undergarments, or something, I guess. 

  1. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  2. Vrksasana (Tree Pose)
  3. Tadasana
  4. Vrksasana on other leg
  5. Uttanasana (Forward Fold Pose)
  6. Urdhva Hastasana (Upward Hand Pose)
  7. Kripalu Ardha Chandrasana (Kripalu-style Half Moon), arms above head to bend to the side for a deep side stretch
  8. Inhale through center to repeat on other side
  9. Tadasana
  10. Step forward to Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I)
  11. Inhale to raise the arms and straighten the back leg, exhale to lower arms and gentle bend back leg. Repeat 10-12x
  12. Hold Virabhadrasana I 
  13. Virabhadrasana II
  14. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
  15. Utthita Tadasana (Five Pointed Star Pose)
  16. Prasarita Padottanasana (Standing Forward Fold)
  17. Repeat steps 10-16 on other side
  18. Utthita Tadasana
  19. Tadasana
  20. Take hand to opposite hip, other hand to sacrum for gentle twist. Repeat other side. 
  21. Sun Breaths (12x)
  22. Nadi Shodna Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breath). Repeat for 5-10 minutes 
  23. Savasana

Popular Posts