Teaching & Living Ahimsa

The next few weeks on my Tuesday post, I plan on writing some thoughts and ideas on the yamas and niyamas and how as teachers we can bring them into our classes. I feel that it can be challenging to do so especially depending on the environment within which we teach. I love love love the studio where I teach, but my classes are shorter than I've ever taught before (oh how I love to teach an hour and a half class!) and because it is not primarily a yoga center (lots of other amazing dance + pilates are offered) there is a unique vibe. In other words, I set an intention to sprinkle my class with yoga philosophy rather than give a 10 minute talk at the end of class in order to share that yoga is more than asana.

The first yama or restraint I'd like to chat about is ahimsa which when it comes down to it means kindness. The traditional definition was "do not hurt or kill people" yet it can be interpreted to mean one should not be violent in feelings, thoughts, words, or actions. For me, Ahimsa or "non-violence" hit a unique chord during my 200 hour yoga teacher training. I have eczema and have all my life, so my skin itches...a lot. Most of the details are another story, but I started to notice that when I scratched (and ended up with the rash that comes a long with that) I was actually being pretty violent towards myself. It brought some perspective and allowed me to take the space I needed to breathe through the itchy sensation and move forward thus being kind to my body.

I also am reminded of being non-violent when I notice my mind bringing in negative chatter about my body. Setting the intention to be kind to myself really opens up my ability to notice my mind fall into negative patterns of bad mouthing myself.

Often when teaching I see students pushing through asana without compassion to themselves and what their bodies need. Sometimes, it's as if I can see the violent thoughts about their practice (or their bodies) encircling them. What a great time to remind students to embrace ahimsa and be kind to themselves. Aadil Palkivala states "if we are forcing, we are not feeling" and that "violence and awareness cannot co-exist." I love to use those 2 gems while teaching. Reminding students to be compassionate to themselves can be just what they need during that challenging pose. And by becoming more kind within, you can exude kindness in your interactions with others.

Do any of you have any stories on discovering ahimsa in your life or sharing it with your students?

Popular Posts