Yoga and Longevity

Tomorrow is my grandfather's 96th birthday. I'll be headed down to Jersey to celebrate it with family. Now, Grandpa Manny never practiced asana, and I doubt that he meditated, but he has, knock on wood, been healthy his whole life. We talk about it sometimes, about the miracle o' Grandpa Manny, and have come to a few conclusions about his longevity, despite his almost purely meat-and-potatoes style diet and lack of om-ing.

Grandpa worked the same profession his whole life and loved it. He was an electrician, part of the outstanding electrician's union, and had steady employment. Looked forward to going to work and retired later than he needed to.  Grandpa was married to one woman, Grandma Molly, and loved her. A totally traditional marriage: he worked outside the home, she inside of it. Produced my glorious mama and my aunt and uncle (interesting side note: My mother is a brunette. My aunt as blond as they come. My uncle is a red head). Grandpa, even after he retired, had a routine and watch out if you tried to alter it. Actually, no need to watch out, he just wouldn't alter it. Grandpa Manny knows his needs. And finally, and most importantly, Grandpa does not stress out. He's a shrug his shoulders kind of guy. If, goodness forbid, his routine has to get altered, he might get a bit grumpy, but then he moves on. Like any good yogi, Grandpa acts but is not attached to the fruit of his actions.

Since everyone and their mother is branding a new kind of yoga, I'll jump into the fray. Let's call it "Grandpa Yoga."

I need yoga (the asana, the breathwork, the meditation) because I am not naturally like Grandpa Manny. I can be one stressed out chickabidee. The truth is, though, everyone's yoga is different. Some find peace in designing, some in baking, and some, like Grandpa, in electrician-ing. I say, as long as your yoga creates peace in you without injuring others, rock your yoga. That's how you'll live a long, happy, healthy life. Not because of postures or breathing in itself, but in the tranquility it gives you.

May you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be peaceful!

Yoga and Longevity

For today, your sequence is not asana. Think about something that, when you're doing it, you feel completely at peace. The constant chattering of thoughts leaves your mind and you find yourself more aware. Not something you use as a distraction from yourself, but something that makes you feel *more like yourself*. If you haven't found that thing yet, a few recommendations:
  1. Draw the curtains, lock the doors, and dance. Dance like a crazy person.
  2. Find a quiet place and take a walk. Focus on the footfalls. 
  3. Paint. I am a terrible, horrible, no good painter, but I really enjoy doing it. So I do. Just let the hand go where it goes and don't think about aesthetics. Just paint.
  4. For these colder nights, have a bonfire. Get comfy and just sit. 
  5. Run, bike, climb.

Popular Posts