Yoga for Insomnia

Oy, what a night.

I got into bed around 10, but didn't really fall asleep for the night until 3:00 a-freakin-m. I dozed for a couple of hours between 12 and 2, but then was up again from 2 to 3. Total bummer.

Knowing that just lying there for 3 or 4 hours just makes getting to sleep harder, I finished a book, ate some food, talked to Chris and Lily (couchsurfer, see yesterday's post). It wasn't super unpleasant, but I am a bit out of sorts today.

This is totally and completely unlike me. I am a champion sleeper! I did, however, drink two giant iced chais yesterday afternoon (they were delicious). Ah well, you live and learn.

What are your anti-insomnia yoga poses? Viparita Karani (Legs up the Wall) is supposed to be the queen bee, but I'd love to hear other ideas in case lightning strikes twice. But, um, I hope it doesn't: I really really love sleeping!

Image from Flickr commons

Yoga for Insomnia

Forward folds (in general) and poses that bring more blood flow to the head are, in theory, relaxing and calming to the central nervous system. Here are some poses meant to relax the body and calm the mind to help bring you closer to that sometimes elusive dream state.
  1. Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
  2. Nadi Shodna Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing), 10-15 minutes
  3. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Fold)
  4. Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle)
  5. Forward fold in Bound Angle
  6. Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclined Bound Angle Pose) Note: use lots of bolsters in necessary, as with all poses
  7. Janu Sirsasana (Seated Head to Knee Pose). Repeat other side
  8. Setu Bandhasana (Gentle Bridge Pose)
  9. Salamba Sarvangasana (Supported Shoulderstand)
  10. Viparita Karani (Legs up the Wall Pose)
  11. Savasana

Popular Posts