Re: Advice

Last week, I asked you all for advice for an icky situation I was in. Thank you all so much for the amazing, wise advice from seasoned teachers and students. The most valuable lesson, and one that I really needed to hear from the outside (I'm working on affirming it myself, too) is that I am worth it. If I want to try and make this love of my life into employment, I have to be aware of my needs while being sensitive to others.

I love my yogini bloginis!


The solution ended up being a compromise that I am comfortable with. I will drop two of the classes to make time to look for other studios. Two more of the classes will be "on hold" for the next month; I'll teach them, but we'll evaluate down on June 15th to see if I want to continue. I committed until the end of the summer to one class, and one class for which I will be a fill in on a regular basis. The owner of the studio is definitely not holding up to her end the responsibilities: the website is still not up to date and she has not done any "footwork" in posting fliers (although she did print quite a few more to distribute in house). Still, as noted, I feel a sense of responsibility for what I signed on for, even if she isn't fulfilling her side of things. The classes I kept, and our arrangement, is a nod to that.

I'll let you know in a month if she, or I, go off the deep end.

Hey, Jamie (who is currently going through the exact same thing!)... how is it working out for you?

Re: Advice

This practice is in dedication to all of the wonderful women who wrote in advice: Jamie, Flissy, Svasti, La Gitane, Kaivalya, and the wonderful former Ithacan The Happy Yogini. Rock on!!!

  1. Sukhasana  (Easy Pose)
  2. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  3. Breath of Joy (8x)
  4. Begin lightly jumping, feet barely leaving floor
  5. Taking 30 seconds or so, continue to increase height of jumps until you are jumping as high as you can. If your knees can't take that, insert some energy-raising activity that works for your body
  6. Take feet 2-3 feet apart. Swing arms and twist torso, pretending your arms are empty coat sleeves, letting them gently hit your body. Exhale "Ha!" as you twist. 1-2 minutes.
  7. Tadasana
  8. Utkatasana ( Chair Pose)
  9. Uttanasana (Forward Fold)
  10. Ardha Uttanasana  (Half Forward Fold or Pike Position)
  11. Utkatasana
  12. Tadasana
  13. Repeat steps 7-12 six to twelve times. 
  14. Utkatasana
  15. Parivrtta Utkatasana (Revolved Chair)
  16. Repeat steps 14 and 15 on other side
  17. Utkatasana
  18. Garundasana (Eagle Pose)
  19. Virabhadrasana III (Warrior III)
  20. Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I)
  21. Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II)
  22. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
  23. Vinyasa to Tadasana 
  24. Breath of Joy (8x)
  25. Repeat steps 17-24 on other side
  26. Prasarita Padottanasana (Standing Wide Leg Forward Fold)
  27. Prasarita Padottanasana, hands interlocked behind back
  28. Slight back bend on coming up
  29. Upavistha Konasana (Seated Foward Fold)
  30. Urdhva Dhanurasana, gently coming up by placing one hand behind your sitz bones and bending knees (so feet can be flat on floor), only using one arm as you slightly straighten legs to bring sitz bones off of floor (Upward Bow variation)
  31. Repeat steps 29 and 30, other arm
  32. Tarasana (Star Pose)
  33. Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Twist). Repeat other side
  34. Savasana

Popular Posts