Advice...?

So, I recently moved to Ithaca, as folks who stop by fairly often will note. With the move, came new yoga teaching opportunities. With new yoga teaching opportunities, came a pretty big issue. I'm not sure how to handle this one, and could use some advice.


At one studio, the owner needed a lot of holes filled, and I, happily, signed on to teach a bunch of classes. The classes pay per head and I assumed that it wouldn't be an issue as the studio has been around for a few years and is established in the community. 


Oops, wrong.


Only after the summer schedule came out, with my name popping up all over, did I find out from teachers that have been around for a bit that it's a good day when five people show up to your class. Like, break out the champagne, there'll be dinner on the table tonight, kids. So far, I've either had three people or zero show up to the classes. It's been two weeks now and I'm starting to get nervous. 


I've posted fliers, but there's only so much I can do only being a teacher. The studio owner has not updated her website, nor sent out any emails to a list (not sure she actually has one, as that information doesn't seem to be going into any sort of database). She had been up front with me that classes start off with low number, but that makes sense with a new teacher. What she didn't tell me is the numbers never grow. 


Now what? I've made a commitment, which I hatehatehate to break, but I don't feel like my effort is being matched, nor do I feel like the owner was being totally up front with me.


Any advice from wise bloginis and yoginis would be very much appreciated. I'm in a sad state about it...!


Advice

And, because what's a day without a sequence, your sequence of the day. Thanks in advance for all help! Love to all! 
  1. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  2. Begin a "swimming" warmup. Allow whole body to naturally follow movements of arms. Taking a wide stance, begin breaststoke arms.
  3. Forward crawl arms
  4. Backstroke arms
  5. Doggy paddle (kidding)
  6. Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose) Side Stretch. *In Kripalu and Bikram yoga, Ardha Chandrasana is the pose where from Tadasana you bring both arms overhead and to one side.
  7. Repeat other side
  8. Tadasana
  9. Taking a wide stance, allow your arms to swing side to side like empty coatsleeves. Twist your torso as you swing. 
  10. Begin Hara breath, saying "Ha!" as you twist
  11. Come to stillness
  12. Standing Yoga Mudra (Seal of Yoga), clasping arms behind back as you fold forward
  13. Slight backbend with Yoga Mudra arms
  14. Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
  15. Virabhadrasana III (Warrior III Pose)
  16. Natarajasana (Dancer's Pose)
  17. Tadasasana
  18. Repeat 14-17 with other leg
  19. Vinyasa to Adho Mukha Svanasana. Bending and moving arms and legs
  20. Jump to Bakasana (Crow Pose)
  21. Chaturanga Dandasana (Plank Pose)
  22. Ardha Salabasana (Half Locust Pose). Repeat other side
  23. Salabasana (Locust Pose)
  24. Navasana (Boat Pose) on stomach, hands interlocked behind lower back, using arms to help lift chest
  25. Garbasana (Child's Pose)
  26. Pasasana (Noose Pose). Repeat
  27. Upavistha Konasana (Seated Wide Angle Pose)
  28. Kurmunasana (Tortoise Pose)
  29. Baddha Konasana (Cobbler's Pose)
  30. Gomukhasana (Face of Light Pose). Repeat other side
  31. Marichyasana III (Marichi's Twist)
  32. Savasana (Corpse Pose)

Popular Posts