Open, Shut them

I've been in classes where the teachers go into savasana along with the students. I'm not really a fan of that. I don't really consider teaching yoga doing yoga because I'm focused outwardly as opposed to inwardly. If it seems like your teacher is doing otherwise, it probably doesn't feel all that good.

Which brings me to a recent conundrum. In the seated meditation I start and end class with, I instruct the class to close their eyes if it is comfortable to them. Then I lead them through the breath work, etc. I also, however, tend to close my eyes. The idea is that I don't want to seem like a creeper staring at them while their eyes are closed. It's like kissing someone, to open your eyes in the middle and see them staring at you. As in... woah buddy! Mine were closed, why weren't your's?

Honestly, I don't know what other teachers do. Because, um, my eyes are shut as a student. Is closing your eyes as the teacher like going into savasana with the class?

For your sequence today and a funky song, love on this guy:

Popular Posts