Inspirational Quotes

Silence is the universal refuge, the sequel to all dull discourses and all foolish acts, a balm to our every chagrin, as welcome after satiety as after disappointment.  ~Henry David Thoreau

As yogis, we know that silence is golden. That the gifts of silence can outweigh a thousand words trying to describe the beauty in that silence. We know to ask ourselves if what we are trying to express in words could be better expressed in silence. 


Then why are inspirational quotes so popular?


I have one tacked by my bed, on my Facebook page, and they are often my Twitter update. At the end of class, instead of letting the participants have a few extra golden moments to themselves, sometimes I ruin it with a good, eye-opener of a quote. What gives?


What it is, I think, is that sometimes it takes the words of others to lead us into the silence, the release from the constant flow of words. It can take the allowance of someone else to let us know we can shut up. No, really. Shut Up.


In the end, though, the quotes might help, but it's going to be some serious internal work to get us to the place where we become the quote-makers. Otherwise, it's just empty. 


Today, for your sequence, watch the most beautiful piece of silence I've seen in awhile.


Popular Posts