Resources

When I first started doing this blog, I had to look up a fair amount of the Sanskrit. Some words I've said quite a few times, but had no idea what the most common way to spell them would be. Sometimes there is no common spelling. And sometimes, I had no idea what the translation would be, not really knowing if there was a proper name in English.

It's gotten much easier. I can usually go through a sequence without having to look anything up, although sometimes I still get caught. For some reason, I seem to switch Paschimottanasana and Parsvottanasana, too (oh, the trials and tribulations). An amazing help when I was getting started was Dharma Mittra's beautiful Asanas: 608 Yoga Poses . All of the information provided in the book is also provided online; the link to that site in on my sidebar.

This sequence is intended to force everyone to go check out the site. I'm using a lot of obscure Sanskrit terms, while still maintaining a flow. Sure, it's kind of sneaky. Yes, it's not really about listening to body wisdom. But my heart's in the right place. Try it, you'll like it!

Resources

Any other wonderful resources out there that you know and love? You can set up a resource list at your studio for people to add to; it creates a great service all can benefit from. In the meantime, I am always scouring the internet for good yoga resources (as well as the library shelves), so let me know what your resource list has on it.

  1. Begin with a dedication, or by setting an intention
  2. Spinal rock to standing
  3. Tadasana
  4. Surya Namaskar (no warriors), repeat
  5. Surya Namaskar with Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I Pose)
  6. Surya Namaskar with Virabhadrasana I and II (Warrior I and II Poses)
  7. Vinyasa to Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
  8. Eka Pada Koundinyasana (Pose Dedicated to the Sage Koundinya II)
  9. Repeat steps 7 and 8
  10. Tadasana
  11. Vrksasana (Tree Pose)
  12. Patanvrksasana (Toppling Tree Pose)
  13. Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana (Standing Splits)
  14. Virabhadrasana I 
  15. Virabhadrasana II
  16. Vinyasa to Tadasana
  17. Repeat steps 11-15
  18. Chaturanga Dandasana (Plank Pose)
  19. Vasisthasana (Side Plank Pose with top leg extended)
  20. Repeat steps 18 and 19
  21. Vinaysa to seated
  22. Hanumanasana (Hanuman's Pose)
  23. Switch through center to other side
  24. Bakasana (Crow Pose)
  25. Parsva Bakasana (Side Crow Pose)
  26. Repeat steps 24 and 25
  27. Jathara Parivartanasana (Twisting the Belly Pose)
  28. Slowly go from one side to the other, moving with breath
  29. Urdhva Prasarita Padasana (Upward Extended Feet Pose), lift and lower legs
  30. Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
  31. Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana (One Leg Upward Bow Pose)
  32. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
  33. Halasana (Plow Pose)
  34. Karnapidasana (Ear Pressure Pose)
  35. Spinal Rock
  36. Savasana (Corpse Pose)

Popular Posts