Warming Sequence

I take it back. I take it all back.


This city is as loving, as full of wonderful people, but also as soul-numbingly cold as I remember it. Chris and I took a pretty long walk today and at one point I realized I was smiling because I had smiled at something he had said awhile back... and my face froze that way. Friends can warm your heart, but they cannot breathe hot air on your neck 24 hours a day to provide extra body heat. Trust me, I've asked. 


Katherine's wonderful, warming core sequence made me think I should concoct one of my own, too. Her's is pretty perfect, but it's going to be a long winter, and I'm going to need some variety. This sequence works in some core work, too, so maybe take a break in between if you need it, or want to work on a different part of the body. 


As a side note, I'm sitting in front of a fire while writing this, and it is lovely. Fireplaces are an A #1 reason I can't live without a little bit of winter. Just not one this long.


Warming Sequence


Kapalabhati Pranayama (Breath of Fire or Skull Shining Breath) and Bhastrika Pranayama (Bellows Breath) are great warming pranayama. Probably best not to do on an empty stomach, though. I enjoy them first thing in the morning as some good breath work is better than a cup of coffee, and tends not to send one running to the closest bathroom. 




  1. Vajrasana (Diamond Pose)
  2. Meditate, imaging that you are breathing in the warmth of the sun, exhaling to send the warmth throughout your body. Sometimes, by imagining warmth, we actually trick our bodies into actually being warm. Continue to 2-3 minutes
  3. Bhastrika Pranayama
  4. Exhale all breath out, bringing forehead to knee
  5. Breath retention
  6. Inhale to 2/3 lung capacity
  7. Breath retention
  8. Come back to normal breathing
  9. Repeat steps 3-8 3-5x
  10. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
  11. Lift one leg, extend, inhale. Exhale, bring leg and forehead towards each other, weight coming forward. Inhale to kick leg back again
  12. Repeat 10-20x
  13. Bend raised leg at knee, circle knee for hip openers
  14. Flip the dog, for one-armed Urdhva Dhanurasana (Upward Bow Pose)
  15. Repeat steps 10-14
  16. Adho Mukha Svanasana
  17. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog Pose)
  18. Move between steps 16 and 17, trying to let the head (as opposed to the chest) lead between; it may feel like you are slithering like a snake
  19. Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I)
  20. Kapalabhati (Breath of Fire) in Warrior
  21. Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II)
  22. Viparita Virabhadrasana (Revolved Warrior)
  23. Parsvottanasana (Extended Side Angle)
  24. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
  25. Utthita Tadasana (Five Pointed Pose)
  26. Tadasana 
  27. Repeat steps 16-26
  28. Vinyasa to seated
  29. Navasana (Upward Boat Pose)
  30. Release legs 6 inches above floor
  31. Raise back to Upward Boat
  32. Kapalbhati in Boat
  33. Repeat steps 30-32 2x
  34. Purvotanasana (Reverse Plank)
  35. Repeat step 34
  36. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Fold)
  37. Matsyendrasana (Seated Twist)
  38. Dandasana (Staff Pose)
  39. Twists in Dandasana. Take arm to opposite leg, other hand behind seat on floor. Repeat other side
  40. Urdhva Dhanurasana (Upward Bow Pose)
  41. Halasasana (Plow Pose)
  42. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
  43. Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
  44. Savasana

Popular Posts