Krishna Das

Excuse me while I laugh so hard kombucha comes out of my nose.

But.. first the back-story. Today was the last night of one of my summer Cornell classes (they start back up again in the fall, but with a new schedule... definitely ignore any "current" schedule I have posted). It started off a little crazed: I had a rough idea for a class planned, but when I showed up, there were no mats. They had been taken away to be washed and forgotten to be returned. Oops. So class was a mixture of floor and blanket. It ended up working out great. I think people feel confined to their mats in their practice (drawing inside the lines, in a way) and having no mat led to a really liberating class for me as a teacher, too. I had to think on my toes, while not having them slip on theirs. A different class than I've ever taught.

Feeling all yoga dopey, a regular (ridiculously awesome) student comes up to me at the end of class. He wanted to know: who sings the last song you played?

I get music questions pretty much every class, as I use atypical yoga music. Today, however, was all Krishna Das. The savasana song was "My God is Real" (a beauteous, beauteous song). After I answered his question, he follows up with,

"Oh, I thought it was the guy from Hootie and the Blowfish."

Oh, hahahahaha hee hee, ho. Ho. Ho. Except that he's kind of right.





As for the class, it was a lot of warm ups on the back, core strengtheners to build heat (Eagle crunches, legs extended towards ceiling coming side to side like a pendulum, etc), Janu's, table balancing, Extended Puppy Pose, thread the needle, child's. Then we came to standing, hoping they were a bit warmed up. Standing was: Triangle, Extended Side Angle, Warrior II, Prasaritas, repeat. Then Warrior I with arm variations, Pyramid, repeat. Balancing. Coming back down onto the back, I ended with a series of restorative poses using lots of props: Tarasana, Supported reclined twists, Supta Baddha, Savasana.

And, finally, Hootie.

Popular Posts