FLYF: Teaching

Taught this morning at the Finger Lakes Yoga Festival. It was... small, seemed disorganized, but, hey, a good time anyway.

I showed up a half hour before my class and no one knew where I would be teaching or what I needed to do to check in. It turned out I was teaching outside in a tent. Not only was it in the 50s (and the ground still wet and dew-y), but the tent was full with equipment from something the night before. So, I gathered the folks who had come for the class (about ten for mine, and, it seemed, no one for the other two sessions that met at the same time?) and just went out onto the lawn. Found a flat spot. Yoga is about mental flexibility as well as physical, after all.

The class was great. I love practicing outside and got good feedback. Someone asked me for a business card, which is so not the mindset I operate in. The day warmed up as the class did and by savasana was a decent temperate. I met lovely, nice people... which is one of the best parts of yoga gatherings.

It was the FLYF's first year. I give it its growing pains to work out the kinks. In the meantime, I definitely appreciate the effort of putting it together and getting the word out. It's hard to start something new; I hope the organizer keeps going with it for next year.

Here, roughly, is the sequence I did:

  1. Starting off on back
  2. Reclined Wind Relieving (rt side first)
  3. Reclined Twist
  4. Repeat other side
  5. Transverse colon wind relieving (both knees into chest)
  6. Happy baby
  7. Roll to seated
  8. Janu Sirsasana (head to knee)
  9. Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana (revolved head to knee)
  10. Take hand to outside of opposite knee in Janu for a twist
  11. Seated Wide Angle Fwd Fold
  12. Repeat other side
  13. DD
  14. Slow, gentle sun salutations; taking a long time in urdhva hastasana (upward hand) to say "hello" to the morning sky
  15. Belly down back-bending series
  16. Onto back
  17. Bridge
  18. Eagle crunches
  19. Reclined twists
  20. Savasana

Popular Posts