Yoga in Which I Inadvertently Never Stand Up

Of late, I've been both dreading and looking forward to the cooler weather. This summer, I spent most of my time outside and being really physically active. I'm going to miss being outside and lying around like a cat in the sun. Doing crosswords in direct sunlight might be one of my greatest joys. Still-- it's nice to have an excuse to let things get quieter for awhile. I kept putting off coming inside to type up today's sequence because it was just too nice out and I felt guilty. I think, with the colder weather, I'll be a lot more productive in some ways. Summer's crosswords are winter's knitting.

For the sequence today, I started just doing some poses, as usual, and seeing what flowed naturally and felt good. Over half way through, I realized I was never, ever going to come up from seated. So be it. It might not work for everyone, so I put an alternate in there, but it sure worked for me today. It's still a full practice and works the whole body. Just as with the Yin practice, though, don't let your mind wander just because your body isn't jumping all over the place. Play around with any variations you know of these poses; do modifications for different needs.


Yoga in Which I Inadvertently Never Stand Up


Although we never stand, these poses can still be challenging. Keep lots of props on hand and be careful of tender knees. For the yogi looking for more heat, I recommend going through a full Vinyasa in between each repetition of a pose (between sides).


  1. Vajrasana (Diamond Pose)
  2. Dirgha Pranayama (Three-part breath)
  3. Drop sitting bones to one side twist with arm around back for Bharadvajasana (Bharadvaja's Twist Pose)
  4. Gently twist to other direction for counter-stretch
  5. Stretch one arm above head and over for side stretch
  6. Stretch other arm above head and over
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 switching knees to other side
  8. Come into squatting position (Malasana). Use a block under heels if they don't touch ground. Bring hands in prayer position in front of the heart. Use elbows to open knees.
  9. Malasana (full expression).
  10. Pasasana (Noose Pose). Repeat other side.
  11. Janu Sirsasana (Head to Knee Pose)
  12. Marichyasana (Marichi's Twist Pose) with one leg extended
  13. Krounchasana (Heron Pose) with one leg extended
  14. Dandasana (Staff Pose)
  15. Parivrtta Paschimottanasana (Revolved Seated Forward Fold Pose)
  16. Repeat steps 11-15 other side
  17. Gomukhasana (Face of Light Pose)
  18. Fold forward, forehead towards knees, in Gomukhasana
  19. Paripurna Navasana (Upward Boat Pose)
  20. Begin Kapalabhati Pranayama (Skull-shining Breath) while holding pose
  21. Ardha Navasana (Half Boat Pose)
  22. Repeat steps 17-21 other side
  23. Ardha Virasana (Half Hero Pose)
  24. Supta Ardha Virasana (Reclined Half Hero Pose)
  25. Bring knee that isn't bent for Hero in towards the chest, if comfortable
  26. Sasangasana (Rabbit Pose)
  27. Repeat steps 23-26 other side
  28. Setu Bandhasana (Bride Pose). Slowly come to full extension by lifting and lowering hips with breath.
  29. Savasana (Corpse Pose)

Popular Posts