I am a Liar

Reading Katherine's post from yesterday, I think that if I were to get a tattoo of anything, it would be a reminder: the word Satya (Truthfulness).

I am a chronic exaggerator. Not simple exaggerations, but huge. "I slept like two minutes last night." "I have fifteen bazillion things to do today." I think that a lot of people say things like this, but my guess is it's not quite as often as I do. In fact, I have a bit of a reputation as a chronic exaggerator. Once, while talking with my friend Lisa, I said:

"I do exaggerate a lot, but I correct myself like 95% percent of the time. Well, maybe more like 75."

It took me a second to realize that I was correcting myself in the comment about correcting myself. Upon note, we both starting laughing, but I have never forgot what I doofus I was. Am.

I catch myself lying all the time, usually a second or two after I said them. Here's what I notice: while I am telling the lie, I convince myself that it is true. That is, while telling the lie, I do not think I am telling one. Only right afterward, do I think, wait... that's not entirely accurate. It's as if I hear myself saying it in a detached way, and then nonchalantly correct a different person. It comes down to not being in the moment. To not asking myself, "Is this true?" before I say as opposed to afterwards. My new year's resolutions may be to be more generous, but my life resolution is to be more honest with myself and with others.

I am a Liar

Consequentially, my most common physically ailment is a sore throat. I get them all of the time. Connected? Honestly (ha!), I don't know. Might be. 
  1. Begin in any comfortable seated position
  2. Om three times
  3. Keeping the eyes closed, draw small figure 8's with the tip of your nose. Repeat drawing them in the other direction
  4. Ear to one shoulder, opposite hand to floor (neck stretch)
  5. Repeat other side
  6. Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose). Don't come into the forward fold; grab the legs or feet and open the chest
  7. Gentle twist in Baddha Konasana
  8. Parigasana (Gate Pose). Revolve top arm in circles to warm up shoulder. Hold pose. 
  9. Cat/cow spine
  10. Repeat Gate other side
  11. Camel prep: Come onto knees, take one hand to opposite ankle or heel. Flow between sides.
  12. Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
  13. Cat/cow spine in table
  14. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
  15. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog Pose)
  16. Flow, gently and slowly, between steps 14 and 15
  17. Child's Pose
  18. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
  19. Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand Pose)
  20. Halasana (Plow Pose)
  21. Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
  22. Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Spinal Twist). Repeat other side
  23. Savasana

Popular Posts