Morning Yoga

I am a morning person. I wake up early by choice and by construct (by scheduling earlier classes). Lazy, long mornings are amazing; but I also like being done with work early (as you may notice from my class schedule). I've been this way since I was young. Even in high school, I remember telling my parents what my self designated bed time was (10pm).

Similarly, I think yoga asana is best practiced first thing in the morning. That way, you have the whole day to relish the benefits! Given, I realize 99% of the population doesn't have the luxury of daily morning classes, but university students do, and they are my employer.

Part of me thinks this disposition is due to doshas and not much else. So, while this practice makes my morning great, and helps lead to a great day, too, it may not work for you.

Morning Yoga

  1. Savasana
  2. Imagine you are in a giant bed. Roll around and make wake-up noises. Groan, moan, shimmy, and stretch.
  3. Take body into a tiny ball (on your back)
  4. Release into giant X shape
  5. Move between steps 3 and 4 with breath
  6. Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Spinal Twist). Repeat other side
  7. Roll up to seated
  8. Balasana (Child's Pose). Hold for 2-3 minutes
  9. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog)
  10. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog)
  11. Move between steps 9 and 10, warming up the body
  12. Facing the direction of the rising sun, 12x Sun Salutations (any variations)
  13. Balasana. Hold 2-3 minutes
  14. Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Spinal Twist). Repeat other side
  15. Savasana

Popular Posts