Things not often mentioned during Yoga Teacher Training

During YTT I learned about the yamas and the niyamas (if you didn't, check out Katherine's wonderful series here), anatomy, alignment, basic Sanskirt, history, and a whole bunch more. Some things, however, just never came up. Here is a brief, indispensable and contestable list of some things I wish I knew when I completed by 200 hours. If you have anything to add, or strongly agree or disagree, I'd love to know as more and more of my friends become yoga teachers.

Things not often mentioned during Yoga Teacher Training

1. Someone, someday will walk out of your class before it is over. Sometimes right in the beginning, sometimes in the middle, sometimes during savasana. They may walk into the room, see that you are subbing for their beloved teacher, and walk right back out. It's not about you. I wrote a post about this earlier this year and a recent comment brought me back to it and the wonderful, encouraging comments I received after a couple walk outs left me feeling badly. I'll repeat again: It's not about you. All of you out there helped teach me that. Thank you.

2. Someone will experience unpleasant sensations during your class. Nausea and dizziness are both common. It's also likely, however, that no matter how gentle the class, no matter how perfect your instructions and languaging, someone will injure themselves in another way. Allow yourself some introspection regarding how you teach the pose and see if there is a safer way to language it or bring people into the pose. The student may have not been with the breath or allowed their mind to wander, making injury more likely. Let it be a learning experience but not a freak-out.

3. You will have students who have very unpleasant thoughts about you, even wishing you ill. I've had these thoughts about teachers. It happened to me a lot earlier in my practice. Usually, in the end, the teachers I think very angry thoughts about end up teaching me the most and are the most influential. In a way, then, I guess one can aspire to be a teaching that students have a lot of "feelings" about. When there's nothing left to burn up, we must light ourselves on fire. 

4. You will have a class where no one shows up or (sometimes worse) one or two people show up. One or two person classes can require much more of your own energy and grace. They are very challenging. Classes where no one shows up can be heartbreaking, depressing, and an opportunity to have more time to make the class that you would have taught even more rock star. If no one continually shows up... maybe tweak the class time. Poll the community and your friends. Advertise. Energy put out should come back to you.

5. If you teach yoga for income, you may have to deal with uncomfortable money situations. It's what happens when you mix an essentially spiritual practice with financial compensation. Many yoga teachers are also women, who also are less likely to ask for raises, more compensation, etc. Be realistic about what you need, what you deserve, and what is likely in the situation you are signing onto. It may be uncomfortable, but bring money up very early in a business relationship. 

6. Students may put you up onto a pedestal. Absolute and perfect respect can be respected, and that's mutual. Step off of the pedestal in a graceful leap, tuck, and roll. Then, take a sledgehammer to the pedestal, distributing all parts evenly. 

How do these sit with you? Indigestion or like a cup cake [insert favorite sweetness here]?

Popular Posts