Svadhyaya

Svadyaya is cultivating self awareness and taking the time to reflect inward. Within that self study includes constantly moving forward, learning, growing and sharing our true self with those around us. I feel like that self study truly is my yoga practice. Not only does asana and meditation bring the sensitivity to connect with my true nature, but it also presents questions that encourage me to seek and learn....it keeps me coming back for more.

I love asking my students to let go of where they came from and let go of where they are going when they leave class in order to become present on their mat during class. I then ask them to set an intention to listen to the messages their body/mind sends them as they move through asana - without judgement. Simply to listen and be aware. I think this helps set the tone of yoga as a personal practice. This invitation of inner awareness can help us all see the benefits of yoga in their lives.

In a workshop I took last spring with Aadil Palkhivala, he asked at the beginning of class as we settled in "Why are you here?" and "What is your dharma?". I find myself reflecting on those questions often as I practice asana and move through life. He suggested that being open to asking these questions of ourself is the journey - it's about always being open to what arises rather than seeking the answer. Opening myself to this reflection has given me great perspective on my own life and encouraged me to explore what it is I truly believe. It has allowed me to find honesty with myself and truly that is the power of yoga.

Popular Posts