Give me my Savasana!

Went to a class near my folks house in Stone Ridge, NY (I'm visiting them during the Cornell semester break). It was really an outstanding class; it was a mixed level and she was able to teach to every level. A hard task and the instructor rocked it.

BUT. And this is a big yoga-class-pet-peeve but. At the end of an 1.5hr class, there was maybe a two minute savasana. I felt like I had just got into the pose when she led us to start extending our inhales and integrating small movements into our bodies. Whaaa? Lady, give me at least 5, preferably 10. Even my mom, who gets all twitchy in savasana, was asking for more. I always try to lead a long final relaxation. Sometimes, when I realize a bit too late that things took longer than I intended, I'll tell the class they can stay in corpse pose if they have time, but if they need to leave on time they can leave quietly.

After a great yoga class without a great savasana I always feel like I have to go do some more yoga. 

Give me my savasana!

Any yoga class pet peeves, so I know what not to do during classes I teach? Or how to act during classes I take?

The shorter sequence below is not an entire class, but was taken from the class I took this morning. 

  1. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog)
  2. Take the right knee to the right elbow in plank
  3. Three legged Downward Dog
  4. Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II)
  5. Take the arms into Gomukasana arms (Face of Light)
  6. Keeping arms as they arms, lean backwards in reverse warrior
  7. Release arms, revolved Warrior II
  8. Straighten front leg, revolved triangle
  9. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose) 
  10. Virabhadrasana II
  11. Repeat steps 1-10 on other side 
  12. Adho Mukha Svanasana
  13. Garundasana (Eagle Pose)
  14. Natarajasana (Dancer's Pose)
  15. Utthita Padangustasana (Extended Hand to Toe Pose)
  16. Standing split
  17. Matsyendrasana (Seated twist)
  18. Firelog pose
  19. Jump back to Downward Dog
  20. Repeat steps 12-19 on other side

Popular Posts