Freshman Yoga

It was freshman move in here at Cornell U. the past few days. I stood near an awkward group of boys as one turns to the other and said, "So, you guys freshman, too?" (mind you, this is at a freshman orientation event). The other one: "Yeah. Are you?" First guy: "Oh, that's cool. Yeah, I am, too." Or something to that effect. Just walking through campus made me feel nervous with all the crazed energy of the thousands of students and parents. Over at Moosewood Restaurant, Chris made food for the highest number of people they have seen in years. He estimated that he was plating a meal every 45 seconds. And good luck driving through town. Get on your bike.

This morning was my first class of the semester. The smallest I've ever had for one of my classes, because the gym I taught in was in an upperclassman area, and, well, they aren't here yet. The people who came to class would have had to travel, which undergraduates seem loathe to do.

My heart goes out to all of the new students on campus. I transferred twice to attend a total of three different undergraduate schools (including Cornell). Every school I went to, I cried when dropped off by my parents. I've always liked them and liked living nearby.

Today's sequence is dedicated to all of the transitioning students who are making their way from one end of the country to another, with expectations but no idea of what they are really getting themselves into. Have fun, guys, and remember: We're all freshman, in one way or another, at some point.

Freshman yoga

Breath deep. Get out of your dorm room and get to some yoga classes. 
  1. Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
  2. Nadi Shodna (Alternate Nostril Breathing). 5-10 minutes
  3. Garbasana (Child's Pose)
  4. Roll through to Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
  5. Push back to Child's
  6. Flow between Garbasana to Cobra. See the poses as a circle, or a cycle, and flow through the circle, creating it with your body
  7. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog)
  8. Plank
  9. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog)
  10. Flow between DD, Plank, and UD. See the three poses as a circle, or a cycle, and flow through the circle, creating it with your body
  11. Garbasana
  12. Anatasana (Eternal one pose). Repeat other side
  13. Bhujangasana 
  14. Ardha Salabhasana (Half Locust). Repeat on other side
  15. Salabhasana (Locust)
  16. Come onto back
  17. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
  18. Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
  19. Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Twist). Repeat other side
  20. Savasana

Popular Posts