How I am not really all that needed (aka What a relief)

Home sick with a tummy ache; given a rare opportunity to blog.

I'm teaching 15 classes this semester. This often elicits wide eyes and surprised noises, but I'm trying to not get riled up with the hype. If I'm okay one day at a time, I don't need to look at the full week. This one day is the only one that has to be okay.

That being said, this day wasn't so hot. Canning peaches last night, I adopted the attitude of one for the pot and one for my mouth. I can't really guess how many I ate. It was the worst kind of eating: totally unconscious. When I went to teach my noon class at Cornell, I had to stand behind all of the students, talking to their tushes, so I could position myself next to the exit door and trash can. Just in case I needed to make a run for it and revisit the peaches of anoche.

And you thought that you taught a really unfocused, not-so-present class. I let them know what was going on and was surprised that even without me (surely the very soul of their practice) they were beautiful. Breath, fluidity, grace. Next time, I'm recording myself, and hitting the play button. These guys are amazing.

Here was the sequence that I gave no guidance or instruction to. I just called out poses, trying to talk as little as possible so that what was inside the stomach stayed inside of the stomach.

1. Child's pose
2. Table top, move however you want, I'm too nauseous to give instruction
3. Downward Dog, see above for instructions
4. 6-8 Sun Salutation As
5. Chair
6. Warrior I
7. Humble warrior
8. Warrior I
9. Flow between steps 6 and 7
10. Warrior III with hands clasped (don't unwind from humble warrior)
11. Airplane
12. Tree pose
13. Airplane
14. High Lunge
15. Prayer twist in lunge
16. Vinyasa
17. Repeat on other side
18. Repeat whole thing, both sides, twice, flowing with breath
19. Tadasana
20. Tree pose to hold (how does it feel different in long hold, versus flow... what's the mind set here?)
21. Warrior III to hold (same deal)
22. 3 Sun Salutation As. Flow with combination of the stability for the long holds in the balancing postures and the fluidity of the flowing sequence that came before. How are both in our Sun Salutations?
23. I am now too nauseous to talk. Take the next 5 minutes to cool down any way you know how, I'll meet you in Savasana
24. Savasana
(I ended class 10 minute early, I really couldn't make it)

With special thanks to a certain Ithaca yogini, who heavily influenced part of that sequence. As in, I took a class with her, loved how it felt and lifted it. Thanks.

Popular Posts