Who puts the Om in the Om Shanti shanti shanti



Today, for the first time, a student came up to me after class and told me they loved my voice. Found it soothing. Never knowing how to take a compliment (I'm working on it), I told her she should tell my boyfriend that.

This isn't just the first time teaching a class someone has told me they like my voice. This is ever. If I were to classify my voice, I would say it's a combination of second-generation Brooklyn mixed with East Coast Jew. Chris is of the opinion that I'm slightly tone deaf. In other words, I'm no Enya.

Partly for this reason, I'm not a big om-er. I started off teaching without it because I taught at gyms/fitness centers/YWCAs and I wasn't sure if it was appropriate. Now, out of habit and not wanting my voice to crack, I haven't ended a class with an om since September (yes, I remember the date).

I also find that when I am in a class, I'm really conscious of how I am singing it. You, too, maybe? Making sure that all three syllables are of equal length, that I don't end last, that I don't end first, that I'm enjoying it... I know, that last one. Oy. I'm grasping at trying to be in the moment and be one with the universe. I might not recommend approaching it from that angle. Must. Be. One. With. Universe!!!! (Hint: Will never, ever work).

Anyway, the comment came from a class at Cornell in the Healthy Living department. It's really healthy living/healthy aging. The average age is probably 60s-70s. All sorts of unique, beautiful aches in that room. This sequence is for this group, although they are smart cookies and modify the heck out of everything as needed.


  1. Begin on back, knees bent, feet on floor (Some choose to begin seated in a chair)
  2. Bridge, lowering and lifting (not holding) for 1-2 minutes
  3. Core work on back (5-6 minutes). Alternate leg lifting and lowering; crunches and pelvic tilts with legs bent, knees over hips and shins parallel to floor; toe taps with legs in same position; upward facing boat (using arms for a lot of support)
  4. 2nd set of bridge lifts
  5. Table top position, cat/cow (some less "cow" than others)
  6. Table balancing, lifting opposite arm and leg
  7. Tadasana/Mountain Pose
  8. Warrior II (Pulsing knee, better for joints), repeat on other side
  9. Triangle Variation (feet remain parallel)
  10. Balancing poses (5-6 minutes). Come by wall. Tree (vrkasana) , knee into chest, crane (balikikasana).
  11. Back onto mat for any final gentle stretches
  12. Savasana (or any variation where they feel supported). Give head rubs!

Popular Posts