Don't just do something, sit there!

Almost since I began doing this blog, I've been talking about how I don't need to get off my ass, I need to sit down on it. Namely, I need to meditate. Lately, I've been feeling like my yoga practice accords me about as much peace and equanimity as any workout with a good focus on the breath would. This isn't a denigration; it's no small feat to coordinate breath with movement. It's, however, beginning to plateau. Where I'm at right now, I feel like my yoga practice cannot develop unless I make a dedicated commitment to meditate.

And so I did.

This calendar is taped up beside my bed, next to photos of family. It's that important. It might not be super-visible with my cheap-o camera, but days where I meditated I am putting a smiley face. The first days of the month were before my dedication to myself began... they got the slash line. If I didn't meditate, I will be reminded right before I go to sleep. The idea being that I will not get into bed, but sit myself on the floor and meditate. Meditate, meditate, meditate. 

The yoga asana practice will continue. My body needs that, too. But my mind isn't being elevated by that alone, and I'm working on that. 

Quick sequence for the kids at home (Thanks to Jenny for basic recipe, to which I added sprinkles):

1. Utkatasana (Chair Pose), arms above head if that's okay for your lower back
2. Come to standing, arms still above head
3. Rise up onto balls of feet (while standing)
4. Sit back into Chair pose on toes
5. Uttanasana (Forward Fold)
6. Ardha Uttanasana (Pike Position)
7. Forward fold
8. Chair pose
9. Repeat steps 1-8, taking it into a flow

Popular Posts