I'm sorry



I'm sick of saying I'm sorry. I apologize when someone else bumps into me, even if I wasn't even moving. I apologize for things that I am not really sorry for. Every time that I apologize, I take away some of the power and truth from the times I am really and truly sorry for a mistake I have made or feel empathy for a situation someone is in. Essentially, per Katherine's post on Satya last week (side note: you should also check out her excellent post on Bramacharya from yesterday) every time I apologize in this way, I am telling a lie. I am also diminishing my personal power.

When it comes down to it, I think this is a gender thing. I know I hear women apologizing a heck of a lot more than men. It's meek, it's subjugating, and, really, it's not me. If I knock into someone, I should say pardon me. If someone knocks into me, I can still say pardon. But not sorry. I tend not to say like or um. My place holder is, "I'm sorry."

My goal this month (heck, let's bring it to the end of the year) is to stop saying I'm sorry. Just entirely. I can work it back into my speech when I really mean it, but, in the meantime, use other words. For example, when I really did make a mistake or do something in anger I can say, "That was my mistake. I'll try to be more aware in the future." Or "How I responded was innappropriate. I'll check myself before responding so quickly."

I will be bold, sure of myself, and clear in my language. But I will not be sorry.

I'm sorry

A completely unapologetic practice. 

  1. Vajrasana (Diamond Pose)
  2. Kapalabhati Pranayama (Breath of Fire)
  3. Practice breath retention with Kumbhaka if it is a part of your practice
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 2x
  5. Cat/cow in table
  6. Vyaghrasana (Tiger Pose). Curl leg into chest and extend with "Ha!" exhale. Repeat 10-12x
  7. Repeat other side
  8. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose). Pedal heels, bend and straighten knees. Warm up
  9. Lift one leg, bend at knee and draw circles with knee for hip opener
  10. Repeat other side
  11. Adho Mukha Svanasana
  12. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog) or Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
  13. Move between steps 11 and 12, making sure not to bend elbows out to side, and keeping them close to the torso. Repeat until very warm
  14. Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I Pose)
  15. Bend back knee towards ground, letting it hover right over floor, and return to straighten. Move between the two locations.
  16. Yajnasana (Cross Pose)
  17. Chaturanga Dandasana
  18. Adho Mukha Svanasana
  19. Repeat steps 14-18, other side
  20. Virabhadrasana I
  21. Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II)
  22. Parivrtta Virabhadrasana (Revolved Warrior)
  23. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
  24. Utthita Tadasana (Five Pointed Star Pose)
  25. Virabhadrasana II
  26. Vinyasa to repeat steps 20-25 on other side
  27. Vinyasa to seated
  28. Urdhva Prasarita Padasana (Upward Extended Feet Pose), lift and lower legs
  29. Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
  30. Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana (One Leg Upward Bow Pose)
  31. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
  32. Halasana (Plow Pose)
  33. Karnapidasana (Ear Pressure Pose)
  34. Spinal Rock
  35. Savasana (Corpse Pose)


Popular Posts