Yoga for Hangovers

New Year's resolutions. Goal setting. I mean, I get it... but I'm not sure I approve the way we go about it. I think far too often it turns into a negativity fest, slamming ourselves for drinking too much, eating too much, worrying about worrying too much. I think it's bum. So, screw it. I'm not doing it. 

I'm going to focus on what I love about my life, who I love in my life, and loving the past, present, and future that seem to have a way of colliding at every corner. New Year's resolution? Sorry, haven't thought about it much. But with all the crazy uncertainty in my life, more than ever I need to be thankful for what I have and what makes me happy. I focus on what feels off in the "grand scheme of things" far too often and don't need the excuse to do it anymore. 

So, for today, here's a sequence to help get over a hang-over. Don't feel bad if you have one.

In the end, all I really mean to say is happy new year. 

Yoga for Hangovers

Full disclosure. I've never been drunk. And I'm not just writing that because I know my mom sometimes reads the blog (hi, mama, happy new year, love you). If this reeks of incorrect knowledge about what one does the morning after, sorry. No offense meant. In the pursuit of truth and realism, however, if anyone knows some sweet anti-hangover yogic cures, let me know. I'm trying to be authentic here. In the meantime, lots of detoxifying gentle twists and then drinking a fish tank of water should be helpful.
  1. Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
  2. Nadi Shodna Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breath), 5-10 minutes
  3. Face stretches. Make lots of funny faces and deep Simhasana (Lion's Breath)
  4. Matsyendrasana (Seated Twist). Be really gentle here!
  5. Repeat other direction
  6. Taking one arm to floor by seat, other arm up and over for side stretch. Repeat other side
  7. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  8. Pavana Muktasana (Standing Wind Relieving Pose)
  9. Vrksasana (Tree Pose)
  10. Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana (Half Bound Lotus). Don't bind if it doesn't feel good, don't go into full lotus if it isn't happening, don't bend over if your head is pounding like a drum (otherwise, this is a good detox pose...)
  11. Vinyasa to repeat steps 6-9 on the other side
  12. Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I)
  13. Yajnasana (Cross Pose)
  14. Virabhadrasana III (Warrior III)
  15. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  16. Repeat steps 12-15 other side
  17. Take hand to opposite hip and other hand to lower back for gentle standing twist. Repeat other side
  18. Garbasana (Child's Pose). Hold for 2-3 minutes, propping head up on pillow if it feels the need to be higher than heart level
  19. Walk hands to one side and then other for gentle side stretch
  20. Supta Pavana Muktasana (Reclined Wind Relieving Pose). Repeat other side
  21. Supta Balasana (Reclined Child's Pose, bringing both knees into chest)
  22. Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Twists). Repeat other side
  23. Savasana

Popular Posts