Yoga for Restless Nights

I went for a visit to my parents this weekend and actually had the worst night's sleep I have ever had at the house I grew up in! Usually I sleep like a baby and love it - my parents still live in the house I was brought home to as a baby...isn't that unusual?!?!? The first time I ever moved was to go away to college. Boy, was that tough at the time, but that's a whole other story! I am a total small town girl. My mom's parents and my dad's parent actually live across the street from each other. My mom literally was the girl next door (or across the street.)

Anyway, on this visit my beast (loving term for giant german shepherd/poodle mix with whom my hubby and I share out lives) was along for the short visit and for some reason was so restless throughout the night. He was whining and even barked in the middle of the night. I'm not sure what was up with him, but it sure let to a restless evening for me. (The hubby on the other hand snored through the whole ordeal!)

Sometimes I find that one restless evening leads into several to follow and wanted an evening practice to help me get the best rest I possibly could. This is my practice from late yesterday afternoon that led me into an easeful evening of rest. This is a shorter practice, but with longer effortless holds. Enjoy and fall into your deepest sleep!
  1. Savasana with bent knees Corpse Pose (Lying on your back, knees bent and feet flat. Tune into your breathe and bring awareness to the body in this supine position.) 5-8 minutes
  2. Ujjayi Pranayama Victorious Breathe (Allow the exhale to be twice as long as the inhale.) 3-5 minutes
  3. Ardha Apanasana Knees to Chest (Hug one knee into the chest. Reach the opposite leg out long on the mat. Switch sides with an exhale.) 1 minute each
  4. Apanasana Knees to Chest 1 minute
  5. Sethu Bandasana Supported Bridge Pose (with block beneath sacrum) 2 minutes
  6. Supta Padangustasana A, B & C Big Toe Pose all variations: 1 minute each
  7. Jathara Parivartanasana Revolved Belly Pose 2 minutes each side
  8. Supported Janu Sirsasana Head-to-Knee Pose (head resting on bolster) 1-2 minutes each
  9. Supported Upavistha Konasana Wide-Spread-Angle Pose (head resting on bolster) 1-2 minutes
  10. Supported Balasana Child's Pose (head on blanket or bolster) 2 minutes
  11. Salamba Supta Baddha Konasana Supported Bound-Angle Pose 2 minutes
  12. Viparita Karani Legs-up-the-Wall Pose 5-10 minutes
  13. Sukasana Comfortable Seated Posture
  14. Nadi Sudhi Alternate Nostril Breathing 5-10 minutes
  15. Savasana 10-15 minutes (with tightening and releasing the muscles of the body beginning with the feet and working all the way to the face.)
Sweet Dreams!


Popular Posts