Boxing

I had a dream last night that I wrote a post/sequence and the title was boxing. Now, I'm not the lady who's about to go against dreams. 


So. Boxing. I've never boxed.


You can see where this is going.


Today's sequence, then, has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Obviously, you see me throwing themes in around every corner, but isn't nice sometimes to have a class with no theme? You think Patanjali's peer group were sitting under the Bodhi tree going, "What's the theme for today's session?"


Today's theme is boxing. Take it for what you will.


Boxing


Boxing can help develop spectacular reflexes. Something I'm mulling over for the time being: in what ways does yoga help develop our reflexes? There's much to the practice about developing intuition; I would say that's something quite different. So far, what I have is that when I'm about to topple head-first out of Balancing Half Moon (Ardha Chandrasana), I can catch myself. Any other ideas?

  1. Vajrasana (Diamond Pose)
  2. Taking hands into loose fists, hit up and down both thighs and arms, with enough pressure to increase blood flow to the areas
  3. Take hands to face, gently massage pressure points in face (temples, brow, "third eye," etc.)
  4. Take hands to head. Give the head a good scratch (being aware of flaky scalps!)
  5. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  6. Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
  7. Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I), taking torso to a forward angle approximately a fist or two above the legs
  8. Virabhadrasana I, upright torso
  9. Tadasana
  10. Repeat steps 5-9 other side
  11. Repeat 5-9 again both sides
  12. Tadasana
  13. Garundasana (Eagle Pose)
  14. Virabhadrasana III (Warrior III). Bring arms to "T" position, then by ears, and finally interlocked behind back. Hold each style for approximately 3 breaths
  15. Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana (Standing Splits)
  16. Vinyasa to Tadasana
  17. Prasarita Padottanasana (Standing Forward Fold). Hold for 1-2 minutes
  18. Take torso to one leg for side stretch, then to other side
  19. Bring torso back up, interlocking fingers behind back for gentle chest opener
  20. Repeat steps 12-16
  21. Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold)
  22. Bring torso back up, interlocking fingers behind back for gentle chest opener
  23. Virabhadrasana I 
  24. Virabhadrasana II
  25. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
  26. Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch)
  27. Vinyasa to repeat steps 23-26 on other side
  28. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Fold)
  29. Baddha Konasana (Seated Bound Angle)
  30. Twists in Bound Angle, taking opposite hand to opposite knee
  31. Come forward onto stomach
  32. Resting head on palms, try to kick your own behind with your legs (30 seconds-1 minute)
  33. Eka Pada Dhanurasana (One hand and foot bow). Repeat other side
  34. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
  35. Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Twist). Repeat other side
  36. Savasana 

Popular Posts