Yoga on the Road (and train, and bus, and airplane, and lots and lots by foot)
I just returned from an amazing journey to Peru. As the title of this post suggests, I enjoyed just about every form of transportation possible during my travels. From flying to the Sacred Valley, to hiking old Inca trails, I was *on the road.* There wasn't much time for a conventional yoga practice, but there were more opportunities than I can measure or count to practice yoga off of the mat. Now that I'm back, however, goodness gracious do I need a little conventional yoga (heavy on the restorative). If you've been on the road as well this summer (or, hey, maybe you're in the Southern Hemisphere and it's winter!) here's a sequence to help relax, renew, and restore!
- Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
- Dirgha and Ujjayi Pranayama (Three Part Breath and Ocean Sounding Breath). Come back to this breath often throughout this practice.
- Baddha Konasana (Cobbler's Pose). Hold for 2-3 minutes.
- Bhujangasana on forearms, forearms shoulder width apart (Cobra). Hold for 2 minutes.
- Cat/cow in table for 6-10 breaths
- Gomukhasana (Face of Light Pose) with arms resting in a comfortable place.
- Upavistha Konasana (Seated Wide Angle Pose). Hold for 2-3 minutes
- Repeat step 5 with other leg on top
- Supta Kapotanasana (Reclined Pigeon). Repeat other side. Hold for 2-3 minutes each side
- Cat/Cow in table, 6-10 breaths
- Supta Matsyendrasana (Reclined Twist Pose). Hold for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Viparita Karani (Legs up the Wall Pose). Hold for 5-10 minutes.
- Savasana (Corpse Pose). Hold for twice your usual length.