Yoga for Gardening

 Just spent a few hours at the Ithaca Community garden. I have some dirt under my fingers, grass stains on my be-hind, and a darn sore back. Too much forward bending!



I did a Wheel (Chakrasana) right there in the middle of the rows, but it still feels like some restorative yoga might be in order. Of course, I made plans instead to go to a Power Yoga class this evening (no, I don't know what I was thinking). Whether or not I go will involve listening to my body while I type for the next thirty-five minutes. Plans or no plans, thou shall not fool with Power Yoga when your body is over-worked. Injury is the greatest teacher and I've already taken that classes with that instructor a few times.

In the meantime, a GENTLE and RESTORATIVE sequence for all you gardeners who are spending the day primarily using one side of your body (shoveling, hoeing), hunched over (weed pulling), and heavy lifting (lots of things). Also, if anyone happens to have pictures of your gardens, send them on! We put in a stone path today, but are always looking for other beautifying ideas.

(PS Sometime in the next couple of days I'll put together a peppier sequence for gardeners who didn't just have a heavy-exertion sort of day, but maybe just squated and bent over a lot. Any suggestions, as always, are welcome!)

Yoga for Gardening
Mother don't worry, I've got a coat and some friends on the corner
Mother don't worry, she's got a garden we're planting together...
So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten
Sons are like birds, flying always over the mountain- Iron and Wine
 
  1. Garbasana (Supported Child's Pose). Hold for 5-10 minutes
  2. Supta Matsyendrasana (Supported Reclined Twist). Hold for 5-10 minutes, each side
  3. Supta Baddha Konasana (Supported Reclined Bound Angle Pose). Hold for 5-10 minutes
  4. Viparti Karani (Legs up the Wall Pose)
  5. Viparti Karani with legs in "#4" position (shin crossing opposite leg above knee). Hold for 5-10 minutes, each side.
  6. Savasana

Popular Posts