Padmasana (Lotus Pose), by Carly S.

I had mentioned that next week I was going to be putting yoga soundtracks to my sequences (mentioning songs that could go along with the poses). Today, as a mini-prep, here is a poem by a friend that I met in teacher training. I've posted a few of her poems before. They are great to read before, during, and after a class.

Here is her website. A book she published can also be acquired at Amazon.

I can imagine this poem being read during a long, steady Padmasana hold. What better prop can there be, for such a challenging pose, than a lovely poem?



Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
for Lauren

How delicate and dangerous
to open the lotus
of the heart

when we too float
along the muddy waters of attachment
and desire.

How then do we find the jewel,
the unstained bloom?

Or perhaps it is out of the muck
and all our screwing up
that we arise,

growing imperfectly perfect
or perfectly imperfect,

the river budding with the pink
and white petals of our great suffering
and our great joy.

Popular Posts