Yoga for Waitresses

I'm spending a couple of days at my parents house in upstate New York (New Paltz, to be precise). My momma is a waitress at the lovely Rosendale Cafe and had a morning shift today. However, seeing how it is hovering between 80-90 degrees all day today, she begged her shift off on me so she could spend the day gardening.

I did the morning yug, then biked on over, and then ran around on my tootsies (aka feet) like a maniac for five hours. Now, the following is sore/ache-y: neck, shoulders, upper back, and knees. Maybe this is just me, but I think that an innordinate amount of yogis/yoginis are also waiters/waitresses (and vice versa). Sometimes, after a shift, one just wants to collapse onto the floor, but, from experience, five to ten minutes of stretching can do wonders.

Also, for whatever reason, the biking home helped, too.

Yoga for Waitresses

As you may have notices, I used the word "waitresses" in the title. Of course, this is also for waiters. I probably could have been gender neutral and used the word "server," but, frankly, I just don't think that word is terribly melodic.
  1. Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  2. Head and neck rolls. Imagine drawing the number 8 with your nose in the air. Switch directions.
  3. Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold). Take hands to opposite elbows to gently open shoulders. Hold for 2-3 minutes
  4. Tadasana
  5. Interlock fingers behind back for gentle chest opener
  6. Hands in reverse prayer position Parsvottanasana (Intense Stretch)
  7. Prasarita Padottanasana (Standing Wide Leg Forward Fold)
  8. Repeat step 6 on other side
  9. Tadasana
  10. Taking a wide stance, imagine that your arms are empty coat sleeves and swing them side to side with the movement of your torso, gently letting your hands hit your low back
  11. Urdhva Hastasana (Upward Hand). Hold for 1 minute
  12. Uttanasana
  13. Tadasana
  14. Gomukasana (Face of Light). Repeat other side.
  15. Shoulder self-massage
  16. Savasana

Popular Posts