Turn, Turn, Turn

The obvious change here is the leaves.

This is my first year in New England in the fall for many, many years. I'd forgotten how beautiful it was. fall in New England is more spectacular than any other place I've lived and I'm really enjoying it. I've been taking a lot of walks and bike rides; staring off into the hills for a good, long time doesn't hurt, either.

But change, for me, didn't start during the fall. I've been in transition now since May, when I moved away from Wisconsin, and have been living and traveling in different places since. It looks like I won't be settled until January, following a longer period of visiting different cities, to see if any feel like home. I sure hope one does.

Yoga has helped me feel grounded during this period of unpredictability and change. It helps me remember that no matter where I am, no matter what I am doing to fill my time, no matter what people or things surround me, purusha (soul, pure consciousness) remains.

As an interesting side note, when I checked Wikipedia for the spelling of purusha, they also had this to say about the word:

"In the Rigveda, Purusha is described as a primeval giant... that is sacrificed by the gods (see Purushamedha) and from whose body the world and the varnas (castes) are built. He is described as having a thousand heads and a thousand feet."

I don't know about you, but that is definitely how I like to think about my soul. Awesome.


Turn, Turn, Turn

If you are feeling unsettled, and like change is getting the better of you and your well being, it might feel good to work in some grounding exercises. Check out what you're eating, too. Weather turning cooler might mean a turn away from summery foods to warmer, heartier dishes. In general, don't feel forced to embrace change. Let that come naturally and with time. It will come.

  1. Sukhasana (Easy pose)
  2. Deep ujayyi (Ocean Sounding) breath, sending breath to root chakra
  3. Sun breaths, continuing with ujayyi
  4. Table, grounding through parts of body in contact with floor
  5. Arch spine towards ceiling, chin towards chest in Marjarasana (Cat Pose)
  6. Arch spine towards floor, crown of head towards ceiling in Bitilasana (Cow Pose)
  7. Flow with breath between 6 and 7
  8. Table
  9. Lift opposite arm and leg in table to balance
  10. Repeat other side
  11. Garbasana  (Child's Pose)
  12. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward Facing Dog) or Bhujangasana (Cobra)
  13. Flow with breath between 11 and 12
  14. Knee-down Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
  15. Knee-down Low Lunge (front knee bent over ankle, back leg straight)
  16. Anjaneyasana (Crescent Moon Pose)
  17. Repeat 15 and 16 other side
  18. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog)
  19. Tadasana 
  20. Sun breaths in Tadasana
  21. Begin walking meditation, carefully noting how feet land for two to four minutes
  22. Tadasana
  23. Malasana (Garland, or Squatting Pose)
  24. Dandasana (Staff Pose), grounding through legs
  25. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
  26. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge)
  27. Repeat Setu Bandhasana two more times, pressing sacrum into floor in between sets
  28. Baddha Konasana (Cobbler Pose), press feet together firmly
  29. Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclined Cobbler Pose)
  30. Viparita Karani (Legs up the wall) for relaxation

Popular Posts