Rocking the Goddess
I don't see Goddess Pose (Kaliasana) in many classes I take besides Kripalu style. It's not even on the Dharma Mittra photo site resource I link to below... and that really does have everything. That's too bad, though. This is a great pose; it strengthens the legs, builds heat, and engages the Uddiyana Bandha. When I go into it, I experience some of the same feelings I get when I enter Virabhadrasana II. I am profoundly aware of my own power and strength.
Rocking the Goddess
To come into Kaliasana, take the feet 2.5 to 3 feet apart. Take the toes 15-30 degrees out to the side (duck-footed). Bend at the knees, keep the knee in line over the ankle. Avoid buckling the knees in. Allow the pelvic floor to drop; release any tension from that area. Keeping the torso straight upright, bring the arms out to the sides at 90 degree angles (with both arms up, your arms should make a goal post shape).
- Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
- Kapalabhati (Breath of Fire). Repeat for a total of three rounds
- Malasana (Garland Pose) [note: use a block if necessary and not warm enough]
- Bharadvajasana (Bharadvaja's Twist). Repeat other side
- Prapadasana (Tiptoe Pose)
- Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold)
- Using hands for balance, move between steps 5 and 6, 25-50 times, exhaling as you come into Uttanasana
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
- Kaliasana (Goddess Pose)
- Move between steps 8 and 9, exhaling in Kaliasana [note: alternate the leg you use to step out into Kaliasana]
- Pulse knees in Goddess, slightly straightening and coming deeper
- Sun breaths in Kaliasana
- Vrkasana (Tree Pose)
- Eka Pada Galavasana (One Leg Pose of the Sage Galava)
- Repeat stps 15-17 on other side
- Kaliasana. Begin Kapalabhati breath. Pause. Hold for 5-10 full inhales and exhales
- Vinyasa to Chaturanga Dandasana (Plank Pose)
- Kapalabhati in Plank. Pause. Take 8-second count to lower fully to floor
- Rest on stomach
- Take 8-second count to raise back to Chaturanga Dandasana
- Garbasana (Child's Pose)
- Walk hands in front of you and off to one side for gentle side stretch. Repeat other side
- Roll onto back
- Pavana Muktasana (Wind Relieving Pose). Repeat other side
- Take both knees into chest, bringing head gently towards knees. Release.
- Ananda Balasana (Happy Baby Pose). Rock gently side to side
- Take legs into Garundasana (Eagle Pose) while still on back. Circle hips and knees gently.
- Repeat other side