Yoga for Cyclists

"Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel." 
--Susan B. Anthony, 1896



I love riding my bicycle. My ideal ride in weaving through flat city streets, navigating around potholes and waving at people I know around town. It's both anachronistic and totally in the moment. I don't love long slogs uphill and I'm terrified every time I have to bullet down Ithaca's many hills, but it's better than a car any day. This is a sequence for all of the other cyclists out there who need a good hamstring stretch and a wrist release (gripping handlebars all day, anyone?). 

  1. Tadasana
  2. Forward fold to halfway lift, repeat 3-5x
  3. All the way up, to Urdhva Hastasana (Upward Hand)
  4. Take right hand to left wrist and side stretch to ride. Switch hands and repeat to other side.
  5. Forward Fold
  6. Step rt leg back to knee down lunge
  7. Step forward to fwd fold
  8. Step left leg to back knee down lunge
  9. Step forward to fwd fold
  10. Inhale to repeat step 4
  11. Repeat steps 5-10 two more times
  12. Parsvottanasana (Intense Stretch)
  13. DD
  14. Repeat step 12 other side
  15. Vinyasa to Downward Facing Dog (DD)
  16. Roll forward to plank and back to DD a few times
  17. Step right foot forward to high lunge
  18. Step back to DD
  19. Roll forward to Plank
  20. Vinyasa
  21. Repeat steps 17-20 with other leg
  22. Repeat steps 17-21 two more times
  23. Fwd fold
  24. Chair pose
  25. Fold 
  26. Ardha Hanumanasana ("Runner's Lunge)
  27. Cat/cow in table top
  28. Repeat step 22 on other side
  29. Cool down of 10 minutes
  30. Savasana


Popular Posts