Yoga for Babies


Me and my favorite baby, circa 2008

I love babies. I love newborns that look like old men, I love 3-6 months old as they discover their fingers and toes (and then promptly try to eat them), I love 1-2 years old as they lose and find their center of gravity again and again.

I also love the idea of Yoga for Kids. Yoga for Kids, yes, sign me up. Wait, I was signed up. I started yoga when I about seven years old; I think that because I kept it up I have retained a seven-year-old's flexibility. In fact, next week I'll start up teaching a class for 5-7 year old at the elementary school in town.

I wasn't, however, 100% sure about "Baby Yoga" classes. I mean, aren't babies doing yoga anyway? It's hard to find anyone more in the present moment then a baby. Also, their bodies are so flexible I'm thinking that isn't one of the benefits they are going to receive from the yoga class. So, I was surprised to find this video on WebMD talking about the benefits of baby yoga. The pediatrician talks about some surprising benefits and some not-so-surprising contraindications of doing yoga with your baby. With the advice of your own pediatrician, it seems like Baby Yoga isn't some weird Dog Yoga (aka DoGa) fad. And, really, who needs an excuse to do Savasana with your baby on your chest?

Some poses your baby will do naturally:
Downward Dog
Sphinx
Happy Baby (duh)
Wind relieving pose
Bridge

For more information, I suggest Itsy Bitsy Yoga, by Helen Garabedian.

Popular Posts