Yoga for Allergies

I visited my parents this weekend in New York's Hudson Valley, aka Ground Zero for allergies. Immediately, I noticed that my throat felt scratchy and my eyes were itchy. My mom is like an assembly line of sneezes-- they just keep coming and she just keeps producing. For a longer term solution, I've heard that acupuncture and eating a bit of local, raw honey every day really help prevent a nasty allergy season (and don't make you drowsy like many traditional meds). In the meantime, here's a yoga sequence to boost your immune system and give a gentle massage to the sinuses. And, if this doesn't work, there's no place like Zyrtec. 

  1. Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
  2. Bring hands to face and draw gentle, small circles around the sinuses or wherever you feel congestion/pressure
  3. Three sets of Kapalabhati (Skull-shining breath)-- if you can!
  4. Garbasana (Child's pose). Hold for one minute
  5. Gentle Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
  6. Move between Bhujanasana to Garbasana
  7. Gomukhasana (Face of Light Pose)
  8. Cat/Cow spine in table
  9. Downward Dog
  10. Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I), focus on opening chest
  11. Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II)
  12. Parsvottanasana (Intense Stretch Pose)
  13. Anjaneyasana (Kneeling Lunge Pose)
  14. Vinyasa to repeat 9-13 on other side
  15. Upavistha Konasana (Seated Wide Angle)
  16. Supta Pavana Muktasana (Reclined Wind Relieving Pose)
  17. Repeat other side
  18. Take both knees into chest and gentle rock side to side
  19. Taking hands behind hand, 20 abdominal crunches exhaling as you gently lift using core strength
  20. Supta Madhyasana (Reclined Twist Pose)
  21. Repeat other side
  22. Viparita Karani (Legs up the Wall Pose)
  23. End with 20 minutes of seated meditation

Popular Posts