I'm a Yoga Teacher, but also...

Two recent comments on posts got me a-thinkin'. Natalia's comment in particular (not quoted in entirety, but mostly):

"...especially about walk-outs- I think that walk-outs are very tied to how teaching yoga involves a money exchange, which is interpreted by many students that they are paying for a product, not supporting a community- and that product is the perfect balance of your personality making them feel motivated, enlightened, challenged, supported, satisfied, etc. And if you don't GIVE them those feelings, sometimes they walk out. As the 'meditator' above mentions about being a facilitator, not an enlightenator, I spend a lot of time telling my students that I am not there to GIVE them those things, just facilitate a space during which they can pay more attention to themselves, practice compassion, curiosity, choose their level of challenge or relaxation, etc, with me there as the 'suggester,' emphasis on 'jester.' This is one of the many reasons I call my class "Empowerflow" because I am trying to Empower my students, not glue them to me. In fact, sometimes I feel guilty wanting students to come back, because I really want them to realize that they can give themselves the gifts of yoga without me.



But back to the whole financial system of yoga. It's fascinating how students can have all the 'product' expectations that I mentioned above, but are willing to pay relatively little.

This is my current rant:


Students: You want me to have a sculpted, flab-free body that I wrap in spandex so you can see its every curve. Then I stand in front of you and writhe and spread my legs and smile and tell you how special you are and maybe I rub your head afterward, and you want to pay me less than you pay for a six-pack of microbrew? And you're not sure if it's worthwhile or if you should come back? F- that. Strippers make more money than that, doing almost the same thing, and they get tips. That's why I'm starting a yoga burlesque group and writing yoga raps that let me blow off some steam. Here's one on the topic:

You would tip her
If she were a stripper
(and, damn, she'd be good,
maybe she should)
Or if he were a server
Sure to deliver.
But what about the one
Who makes loving yourself fun?
Yoga is a service industry.
This is real.
Tip your yogistas like your baristas.
Tip your yoga instructors!"

And Rachel's too:

"Nobody teaches you about tax returns and managing a business either.... "


Reading these, I realized... how many different "jobs" are encompassed under the one title of "Yoga Instructor"? Just in one sit down I came up with this list:

  1. Doctor
  2. Counselor/Therapist
  3. Philosopher
  4. Religious Scholar
  5. Motivational Speaker
  6. Organizational Expert
  7. Librarian (anyone ever spend hours looking for that perfect quote for class?)
  8. Comedian
  9. Accountant
  10. Exercise instructor
Any more to add to the list? This is just an initial thought burst... I have a feeling I'm missing a lot more. Also... yoga burlesque group? Anyone out there joining?

Peace and love to my hard working and hard appreciating yogis and yoginis!

Popular Posts