Let it be.

I am a worrier. As much as I try not to be - I am. So is my mom. And seemingly my grandmother. To some extent, I honor that at least I can recognize where it comes from. At the same time, I constantly need this reminder of the last niyama: Isvara Pranidhana. Most often translated as "surrender to God," I like to think of it as surrendering to the flow that is my life. To simply do and be the best I can without unneeded concern over the outcome. To trust that the decisions I make and the actions I take are genuine to the person I am and the outcome will simply be a result of self expression. And no matter whether it will be seen from the outside as "good" or "bad," in my book all will be good because I have let it go and am choosing actions that resonate with my true self at that given moment. Releasing concern about what may or may not happen in the future allows us to live more presently in this moment. It's not easy.

As far as teaching this niyama, I have had many students come to me looking for specific results. It is ever so challenging to instill that it is truly the journey - the effort and the experience - that need the focus and attention rather than the end results. Surrendering to the flow of the journey rather than over thinking the outcome is Isvara Pranidhana. Also creating a link between all students that pass through the doorway to your class can help shift the attention from the individual to this unique universal life/journey which we are all a part. Inviting an awareness of what we all share rather than focusing on our differences can bring a sense of surrender of that universal self.

What ways do you see or bring "surrendering to the flow" to your life or in your yoga classes?

**I've spent the past several months writing weekly about the yamas and niyamas here on the Joy of Yoga! I hope you all enjoyed! Your feedback has been greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on what you'd like to chat more about in the future?

Popular Posts